Secwepemc Family Services 

Ages: Birth- 5 yr   2013-2017

One of the most rewarding and challenging experiences. Fostering isn’t only about caring for children, most of whom face extra developmental or physical challenges, but also for working with a team that includes the child’s family.  Family that may not support the decisions the team as already made.  It is a dance of caring, inclusion, learning, and support. It has shown me that  there are multiple ways to achieve an outcome.  It has taught me about the variety of challenges children can face and has reinforced my belief in education. It has also highlighted my misconceptions in my beliefs, and my privilege.

École South Sa-Hali Elementary School

Ages: Kindergarten – Grade 3  2014-2020    

Starting in 2014,  I have spent my time in the classrooms of my children. Within the classroom, I have lead craft activities, games, small reading groups and supported during field trips.  Starting in September of 2019 I began volunteering one day a week in a classroom that my children are not currently placed in. This allowed me to experience a different dynamic than mom. I was able to build relationships with students and see how valuable that is within the classroom. I also witnessed how fragile that can be and how sensitive students are to their teachers feelings and how they perceive the teacher feels about them. If you want to be a coach, and cheerleader for your students, this may include an incredible amount of self reflection throughout your day to ensure no child feels left out of the classroom community.

Arthur Hatton Elementary School

Ages 8-10,    2004 

I was a volunteer one to one reader in Arthur Hatton Elementary School once a week. This did not give me classroom exposure but instead gave me a personal insight to factors and challenges each individual student may be dealing with. It was my first true exposure to children in Canada who often do not receive adequate meals or nutrition, adequate levels of personal hygiene or have varied levels of parental involvement.  A number of the children expressed excitement for our short time together each week, and I learned how valuable a focused connection is with the youth. As I value literacy immensely, it was rewarding but also educational for me.

Assistant Skating Coach -Valleyview Skating Club

Ages 3- Teen,   1995-1997, 2000-2001

I volunteered as an assistant coach in both the CanSkate program for elementary aged children as well as the adult and teen learn to skate program.  Following a set learning outcome we were encouraged to creatively motivate children to practice their skills during their skating classes.  Creative motivation included songs, actions, races, drawings on the ice, games and recognition of positive movements in addition to gentle correction of movements. 

Kamloops Alliance Church

Ages Birth- Grade 5  2010-2017

I have supported in the nursery, preschool, and elementary school rooms.  Working as a team volunteers support children to learn through play, songs, stories and crafts. Due to the weekly children in the classrooms not always being consistently the same the value of routine was highlighted. If you have a routine, it is easier for students to miss a week and still feel comfortable and like they belong. Routine helps create a safe space.