I didn’t think I would go on a European trip solo with a three year old and a four year old. It wasn’t something planned, but when my sister and best friend decided to get married in Spain I packed my kids and we went and we stayed for a month.

If I had not brought my children I would not have gotten the same experiences. Spanish culture adores children. I remember thinking there was NO way my kids would stay up as late as kids do in Spain. 12 am bedtime? Not a chance. At that age its 6:30- 7 pm in our house. But, like things often do when you are set in your ways, I adapted and was wrong.

We went for dinner at 10 pm and my kids played in courtyard until 12 am with all the other children. They had large naps in the afternoon and were better behaved, than at home. We drove to the south, stopping at castles and monasteries and because we were with Spaniards we were treated differently than the tourists. My one son had an EPIC meltdown in a gas station/cafe/grocery store because I would not give him candy. There wasn’t a single adult in the store, including the clerk that didn’t rush to give him the candy he desired, and one elderly fellow reprimanded me because I was speaking firmly to my son.

Spanish children go to school by three, but are generally cherished in their institutions. They often speak up and at their teachers, like a child would argue with their parent. At first, I was blown away at what I perceived to be disrespect. Now, I reflect and think these students are comfortable, well loved, and are not afraid to advocate for themselves and others. They thrive with late nights in the courtyards. They thrive in a culture where the general community supports the child.

In my era, we grew up thinking different equated to unequal in either a positive or negative way. However, different is just different. It’s a way of doing things that is not the same. Yes, it can be positive or negative, but it can also be neutral. The Spanish culture is quite different than Canadian culture.

I can only imagine a student from Spain entering a classroom in Canada. The learning curve would be tremendous. No uniform, no lunch provided, and arguing with the teacher uncommon and discouraged. How would we, as educators perceive a child that argued? Would we think they are contrary, quarrelsome, and disruptive? How would the child feel, if their argument was met with anything other than acceptance? What if the educator knew what Spanish culture was like? Would the educator view the arguments the same? Would the educator see the adored child behind the behaviour?

Learning about who the students are in a classroom is vital. What their culture is matters, and will help educators understand difference. Supporting students for who they are, ensuring they feel valued and like they belong means learning for the educators in charge. It means, practicing understanding and acceptance. Travelling to Spain, a prosperous country that looks a lot like Canada, helped illustrate that misconceptions and assumptions can easily occur. It helped highlight the need to know your students and to understand them. It also helped to highlight that parenting and “acceptable practice” can actually look very different and still create children who thrive.