Physical literacy is important for mental health. Getting outdoors and connecting with your community has lasting impact. Empowering students to learn what healthy living means is part of the BC Curriculum.

Pleased to meet you!  I am Caraleigh.  I grew up and still gratefully reside in Kamloops, on the traditional and unceded lands of the Tk’emlúps te Secwépemc. I have a large extended family and I am happiest in organized chaos that  naturally comes with being surrounded by humans.  I am a mom of two self proclaimed wild things, a wife, and an animal lover.

I started my post secondary formal education in the lovely town of Lethbridge, Alberta and I finished my Bachelor of Arts at University College of the Cariboo in Kamloops, British Columbia.  It wasn’t until after I had my children, and they were in elementary school themselves, that I went back to the university in Kamloops. This time the university was called Thompson Rivers University and I finished my Bachelor of Education during the pandemic.

One thing I have always loved is to be around children.  They have a special sparkle and openness that is often forgotten by the older human variety. Watching little people build their confidence, self esteem and knowledge is a privilege.  Watching and interacting with children helps a person recognize the inquiry and creative balance we all need in our lives. Volunteering in my childrens school has always been a highlight of my week.  I have wanted to be a teacher for a long time, as far back as when I was in elementary school myself, and by the time my kids were in school that desire had not faded. I was an assistant skating coach in my teens and early twenties and I am especially fond of the moments then, and now in the school, where I get to witness when a skill “clicks,” with an individual.  It is the moment when you are able to see the joy, and sense of accomplishment in their eyes.

I am also a book lover who has a life long endearment for learning.  My learning does not always come from books however. Whether it is learning how to bake, trying a new sport, travelling, or attempting (again) to master a second language I am in the pursuit of knowledge. I cherish the process of getting older, but I fear losing a zest for life.  One way to prevent this, is to keep mentally and physically moving forward.

Growing up in Kamloops, I had the outdoors at my fingertips.  I did not realize how much of an impact that had until I moved to a larger city. I realized that I valued the ability to go hiking, swimming, fishing, camping, skating, and skiing, quickly and with minimal planning.  The opportunities for outside connections are endless. I try to foster the love and need to protect the outdoors with my own children.

My hometown, Kamloops is a beautiful place. If you are not here now, I recommend you come and visit.