https://firstpeoplesprinciplesoflearning.wordpress.com/

The First Peoples Principles of Learning (FPPL) are a fantastic set of principles that are markedly different then the historically offered Euro-centric colonial teaching. Rather than focus on one streamlined approach to educating young learners, the principles encompass the idea that each individual is unique. This uniqueness allows each student to contribute something meaningful. It allows flexibility in what is deemed important, allowing for students differing strengths and interests. It allows for community, bringing a sense of inclusion and belonging.

The FPPL have been around for thousand of years, and yet the formal education system is only now acknowledging the strength of the teaching style. The FPPL complement the new BC Curriculum and further support the students. The very first time I read the FPPL my mental thought was, “YES!” This holistic support of student learning, the recognition of the learner as an individual and as a part of a community, the acknowledgment of history and culture, all reinforces the message that every learner is unique, has value, and has potential. I sincerely wish for all former students that these principles to have been utilized, acknowledged and celebrated long ago. I am hopeful for current students today and the benefits that will accompany their learning by acknowledgement of these principles.