Inspired by my university courses in latin american politics I decided to move to Mexico for 6 months. This was eye opening. What I thought I had learned and knew about Mexico was true but it did not encompass the culture.

I want to say that compared to my perceptions on Canada, Mexico is bright and colourful and loud. Everything is somehow emphasised. It was fun, and there was blatant racism, it was colourful and beautiful and there was an acknowledged class system, it was full of flavour, and widespread corruption.

I toured a court and prison (in a skirt and flip-flops, a requirement for women visitors). My expectations were that the system would be different but overall, similar. When we entered the courthouse, it looked like any court house in Canada. However, it was explained to me that the defendant went into the office and met with the judge. This was their opportunity to offer a bribe. Then the prosecution would meet and they could bribe or, counter bribe. However, some judges did not accept bribes and so if you offered one of them a bribe you would be found guilty. In comparison, Canada seemed like a quieter, organized, safe and welcoming country.

However, once I returned home, I began to see clearly what I had thought was so different, was actually similar although muted and less overt. Racism happened at the highest level of government. Corruption happened at the highest level of government. And privilege exists in Canada as well. Not only that, Canadians themselves had a lot of work to do toward treating each other with respect and inclusion.

My travelling helped me truly realize that there is a lot of work to be done in every country, including Canada. We can teach our young to be better, more critical, more kind, more inclusive. Maybe then, Canada will have a government and population that lives up to its reputation.